There are many different reasons to create an energy efficient home in Amarillo; increased home comfort, environmental responsibility and lower energy bills are a few of them. But whatever your reason, there are plenty of ways to approach energy efficiency. Try out a few of these:
- Update your A/C. If your air conditioning unit is over 10 years old, you should consider getting it replaced. An A/C contractor can help you decide on and install a new unit that runs more efficiently.
- Fire up the grill. Cooking inside means introducing a lot of extra heat into your home, but a backyard barbecue doesn’t.
- Turn on your ceiling fans. A ceiling fan helps mix cool air with the rest of the air in your home, making your A/C more effective even when it’s set to higher temperatures. And the slight breeze from the fan blades cools you, too. Just remember to dust them first.
- Change your air filter as often as needed. Keeping your filter clear means better air circulation, as well as less work for the fan and more cool air for you.
- Run less air conditioning when you leave the house and at night when you’re asleep. Turning the A/C back for a couple eight-hour periods per day (work and nighttime) can take a big chunk out of your energy bill. A programmable thermostat can help with this.
For more ideas on how you can make your house into an energy efficient home, visit us at Amarillo Air Conditioning. We’re happy to keep you cool this spring!
Our goal is to help educate our customers in Amarillo, Texas about energy and home comfort issues (specific to HVAC systems). For more information about energy efficiency and other HVAC topics, download our free Home Comfort Resource guide.
Credit/Copyright Attribution: “Name of Artist/Shutterstock”