In our region, most homes have forced air HVAC systems and the indoor air handler doubles as a furnace. These common air conditioner problems can put your entire HVAC system at risk for failure.
- Improper refrigerant level. Even the most energy efficient air conditioner or heat pump won’t perform at its best with refrigerant levels that are too high or low. Both result in less effective cooling and can damage the compressor in the outdoor unit, contributing to a shorter life. The compressor is one of the most expensive parts in an HVAC system to replace, and it may be less expensive to replace the whole condenser than the compressor. It may even dictate a complete system replacement.
- Improper airflow. The most common cause of improper airflow is a clogged air filter. The filter collects airborne particles that can harm the parts inside the air handler. When they’re covered in dust, the airflow through the air handler slows, increasing the time it takes for your cooling system to reach the thermostat’s setting. It adds wear and tear to all the parts.
- Lack of maintenance. Unfortunately, this is one of the most common air conditioner problems. Dirty filters and coils in the indoor and outdoor units slow the cooling process. If the electrical components get dirty or loose, energy consumption goes up and the parts may get hot enough to burn. Professional maintenance corrects any issues, small or large, you have with your HVAC system.
- Short-cycling. If your air conditioner is too large for your home, it runs in short cycles, turning on and off frequently. It increases the wear on all the parts inside and out and drives up energy bills.
- Drainage problems. A clogged drainpipe can cause water to backup into the air handler and hasten rust, along with making it a favorable environment for mold growth in ducts and on the evaporator coil.
To learn more about common air conditioner problems, contact Amarillo Air Conditioning at 376-4253. We’ve provided top-notch HVAC services for the Amarillo area since 1960.
Our goal is to help educate our customers in Amarillo, Texas about energy and home comfort issues (specific to HVAC systems). For more information about common air conditioner problems and other HVAC topics, download our free Home Comfort Resource guide.
Image courtesy of Shutterstock