Carbon Monoxide Detectors Can Keep Your Family Safe

Carbon monoxide is one of the leading causes of accidental poisonings. This gas is emitted when devices that are fueled with flame are not working properly. These household devices include furnaces, ranges, fireplaces and space heaters. Because carbon monoxide is an odorless and invisible poisonous gas, it can only be noticed through the use of carbon monoxide detectors.carbon monoxide detectors amarillo texas

Without carbon monoxide detectors, the only way to detect carbon monoxide is through the symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning. The possible symptoms include dizziness, confusion, shortness of breath and vomiting. If not treated, carbon monoxide poisoning can lead to death.

To protect your family from the dangers of carbon monoxide, detectors should be installed on each level of the home and near all bedrooms. Always install according to the manufacturer’s directions, and test the detectors after installation. Buildings with airtight construction may need many detectors since it easier and faster for carbon monoxide to get trapped and collected.

When purchasing a carbon monoxide detector, you should consider battery-powered models, especially in rooms with no backup power source. Detectors that have front-loading batteries are more convenient and easier to change for higher spots.

If you need advice regarding carbon monoxide detectors or other home comfort issues, please contact us at Amarillo Air Conditioning. We’ve been serving the Amarillo area since 1960.

Our goal is to help educate our customers in Amarillo, Texas about energy and home comfort issues (specific to HVAC systems).  For more information about carbon monoxide detectors and other HVAC topics, download our free Home Comfort Resource guide.

Image courtesy of Shutterstock