The best way to reduce household energy costs is to boost HVAC efficiency. Here are five easy tips to help you do both:
- Change air filters regularly: The air filters in your heating and cooling unit can often be clogged by dust and debris. Failure to clean these filters causes your unit to work extra hard and use up more energy. Make sure you check the filters monthly, particularly during winter and summer when your unit is heavily used . Replace any dirty filters as clean filters will stop dirt and dust from congesting in your unit.
- Schedule routine HVAC service: Have your unit checked by an expert frequently to ensure it runs smoothly. Regular cleaning and proper maintenance will help boost HVAC efficiency, extend system longevity and ensure your home stays comfortable year-round.
- Upgrade your thermostat: A new and programmable thermostat will enable you to customize your home’s temperature according to your daily schedule. This way, the heating and cooling system will not waste energy when there is nobody at home.
- Seal your ducts: Ductwork is notorious for leakage, and can often account for a loss of up to 20 percent of conditioned air. By getting a professional to seal your ductwork, you will be able to boost HVAC efficiency.
- Upgrade your HVAC equipment: Older units usually consume more energy as compared to new ones. If your heating and cooling system happens to be over 10 years old, or it’s not working efficiently, get a professional HVAC contractor to evaluate it and recommend the best course of action.
For more information how to boost HVAC efficiency, contact us at Amarillo Air Conditioning. We have been proudly serving the Texas Panhandle since the 1960s.
Our goal is to help educate our customers in Amarillo, Texas about energy and home comfort issues (specific to HVAC systems). For more information about hvac efficiency and other HVAC topics, download our free Home Comfort Resource guide.
Image courtesy of Shutterstock